Fast CGI at Pathfinder for Personal Edition

Dan Woods (dwoods@pathfinder.com)
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:39:39 -0400

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:39:39 -0400
From: Dan Woods (Pathfinder) <dwoods@pathfinder.com>
To: fcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Fast CGI at Pathfinder for Personal Edition

Dear Fast CGI-Gurus,

My name is Dan Woods and I work at Pathfinder.

We have been trying to implement an application using FCGI and
have been getting some information that puzzles us. Our database
vendor for the project is Object Design Inc. George Feinberg,
the developer of the ODI OSforms product has helped us create
a FCGI version of OSforms. In doing so he has talked to some
technical types at Open Market who have informed him as follows:

> George talked with someone at OMI and was told that they have not
> yet implemented a persistent socket connection.  A new socket is
> established between the driver and server and between the server
> and service process for each request.  It's also possible that
> the socket creation/cleanup is the bottleneck.

Can FCGI work in its current implementation with a persistent
socket connection that stays in place from one request to another?

We at Pathfinder thought so?

If so, can this persistent socket connection be used in both internal
and external FCGI modes?

If not, why not. Is this a feature that is planned or one that was
cancelled. If planned, is there a schedule for its release?

Thank you,

--
Dan Woods
Applications Editor                         dwoods@pathfinder.com