Re: Anyone successfully using the Java FastCGI classes?

Jef Poskanzer (jef@best.com)
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:40:24 -0700

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:40:24 -0700
From: Jef Poskanzer <jef@best.com>
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Re: Anyone successfully using the Java FastCGI classes?

So far I have not heard from anyone who has used Java FastCGI with Apache.

I was reading the doc at http://www.fastcgi.com/kit/doc/fcgi-java.html
a little more carefully, and noticed in the section on running the
TingFCGI example it talks about setting -DFCGI_PORT=portNum to the
same port number that was used in the web server configuration.
However, in the previous section on web server configuration, it
says how to specify the port number for Open Market's server only,
and says "On other servers you can use cgi-fcgi to get a similar effect."

Since the -DFCGI_PORT is required, and the only server that lets you
set it is Open Market's, this would seem to imply that you must either
use Open Market's web server, or use cgi-fcgi.  The latter is pretty
pointless, since it's even slower than plain CGI.

Is this right?  Has anyone run Java FastCGI programs in any
configuration other than the above two?

Furthermore, in looking at the sources for the FastCGI extension
code for Apache and NCSA, I see only Unix-domain sockets.  AF_INET
is nowhere to be found.  That's fine for most FastCGI programs,
but Java has no notion of Unix-domain sockets.

It looks to me like the implementation of FastCGI in Apache and
NCSA is unfortunately incomplete in ways that are precisely
complementary to the ways that Java is incomplete.
---
Jef

         Jef Poskanzer  jef@acme.com  http://www.acme.com/jef/