ScriptAlias and SetHandler

Bob Ramstad (rramstad@nfic.com)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:54:33 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 14:54:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bob Ramstad <rramstad@nfic.com>
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: ScriptAlias and SetHandler

howdy.  thanks for 1.3.3 -- we're in the process of upgrading.  glad
to see bugs being fixed!

this is sort of a follow up to Mark Brown <mbrown@OpenMarket.com>
comments on Jonathan Roy <roy@atlantic.net> message from this morning.

in some situations, we've got cgi-bin programs which will be staying
CGI and we've got some which will be using FastCGI.  as a migration
issue, it would be really most excellent if we could keep these in the
same directory.

i've thought of a couple of methods.

ScriptAlias for CGI and add a specific location / directory directive
for the FastCGI files.  might look like this:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/	/local/www/cgi-bin
<Location /cgi-bin/foobar>
SetHandler fastcgi-handler
</Location>

another possibility would depend on ScriptAlias basically being a
combination of Alias and SetHandler and assuming that the
configuration file is parsed top to bottom and/or more specific
Locations take precedence over more general i.e.

Alias	/cgi-bin/	/local/www/cgi-bin
<Location /cgi-bin/>
SetHandler cgi-handler
</Location>
<Location /cgi-bin/foobar>
SetHandler fastcgi-handler
</Location>

also, am i crazed... Location takes a URL based path, while Directory
takes an actual physical file path.  AppClass also takes an actual
physical file path.  i think the examples that Mark sent are missing
Alias commands and/or should be using Directory and not Location.

please correct me :-)

-- Bob