Re: FastCGI and Tcl 7.5

Stanley Gambarin (gambarin@openmarket.com)
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:52:48 -0400

To: Tom Wood <tom.wood@freegate.net>
Subject: Re: FastCGI and Tcl 7.5
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:52:48 -0400
From: Stanley Gambarin <gambarin@openmarket.com>

> The  FCGI development kit I grabbed recently appears to include support for Tcl 7.4 ... will this support work for
> Tcl 7.5?  (I am guessing not.)  Is it possible to use FCGI with Tcl 7.5?

	We have not tested any FastCGI applications with Tcl7.5.

> On a related topic, I would love to see the Tcl support packaged as dynamically loaded extension which would
> not require recompiling the whole Tcl interpreter.  I realize that this would mean a change or addition to the
> Tcl "binding", since one would lose the stdio chicanery.  But I would be very happy with code that looked like
> this:
>
> 	while { [ FCGI_Accept] >= 0 } {
> 	     set inChannel [ FCGI_Stdin ]
> 	     set outChannel [ FCGI_Stdout ]
>
> 	     puts $outChannel "Content-type: text/html"
> 	     # etc, etc
> 	}
>
> if it meant I could use a "stock" Tcl interpreter (since I want to use other Tcl extensions in addition to FastCGI!)
>
> The channel support in Tcl 7.5 seems ideal (to my untrained eye) for this situation.
> -Tom Wood

	There are no plans to provide support for Tcl 7.5.  It is true that
using a dynamic externsion would prevent the recompilation of the interpreter
and we would welcome any outside attempt at porting FastCGI to Tcl 7.5

* Stanley Gambarin			Open Market Inc.		      *
* FastCGI (soon-to-be) Guru		245 First St. Cambridge MA 02142      *
*					(617) - 374 - 6565		      *
* mailto://gambarin@openmarket.com					      *
* 				http://acs2.bu.edu:8001/~stanleyg (school)    *
*				mailto://stanleyg@cs.bu.edu		      *