Re: handler "fastcgi-script"

Mark Brown (mbrown@openmarket.com)
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:24:19 -0500

To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Re: handler "fastcgi-script"
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 12:24:19 -0500
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@openmarket.com>

Vance Huntley says:

     I'm not sure if it would be helpful or not, but I have hacked mod_fastcgi
     to support mapping a file extension to a particular AppClass.

You can get the same functionality, without hacking mod_fastcgi,
by using the (poorly documented) Action directive.

The documentation of the Action directive
(http://www.apache.org/docs/mod_actions.html) says that the first argument
to Action is a MIME-type, and the second argument is a CGI script.

In fact the first argument to Action is either a MIME-type or a handler name,
and the second argument is the absolute path portion of a URL, not restricted
to CGI.

So if you want all requests with a .test1 suffix to be passed to
/home/vance/tester, you can say

    AddHandler tester-handler .test1
    Action tester-handler /home/vance/tester

You can put either or both directives in a Location or Directory section
or in a .htaccess file in order to restrict their scope.

Using these directives you get a pretty good approximation to a FastCGI Filter
using a Responder.

    --mark