Re: fastcgi under bsdi?

Gary Shea (shea@xmission.com)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:54:41 -0700

Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:54:41 -0700
To: Philip Lockwood <philipl@digitalthink.com>,
From: shea@xmission.com (Gary Shea)
Subject: Re: fastcgi under bsdi?

Hi Philip --

I have been working on the fastcgi mod too and have give up
in favor of a module that doesn't require the fastcgi hacks
to perl but does require sfio.

Your problem with run (I think) is that you're attempting
to use the fastcgi devel kit stuff with a later version of
perl, maybe 3.0?  Doesn't work :)  I dealt with this by
getting 5.002, diffing the devel kit versions against the
originals, and then hand patching the 5.003 sources.  For
instance, there's no need for the perl.c changes, and the
proto.h changes are a total of 6 lines, 3 each at beginning
and end.  My feeling is that patches would have been much
nicer... and more easily understood.

Just about had it going when I discovered the non-hack solution
requiring sfio, so I've been getting sfio working instead.
Also non-trivial :) but at least not so disgusting.

Funny, I've spent most of this week on this problem...

        Gary

>Well, bsdi, perl, and fastcgi have decided to tagteam me into making
>my thursday feel like a monday...
>
>Has anyone gotten fastcgi working under bsdi?  I've looked through
>the mail archives to no avail, but i'm sure someone must successfully
>be running bsdi...
>
>I'm getting the following compiler error during the make:
>
>perl.o: Undefined symbol _run referenced from text segment
>
>right after the shlicc2:
>
>shlicc2  -L/usr/local/fcgi-devel-kit/libfcgi -L/usr/local/lib -o
>miniperl miniperlmain.o libperl.a
>/usr/local/fcgi-devel-kit/libfcgi/libfcgi.a  -lfcgi
>
>perl.o: Undefined symbol _run referenced from text segment
>
>I've received a similar error with different shlicc commands...  Has
>anyone gotten this to work?  using shlicc2 or gcc?  Any secret code
>words or special chants involved???
>
>thanks,
>
>Phil Lockwood

Gary Shea                                          Salt Lake City, Utah
shea@xmission.com                         http://www.xmission.com/~shea