Re: mod_fastcgi version 1.4 is out

Ben Davenport (bpd@merc.com)
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 15:52:25 -0700

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 15:52:25 -0700
To: Stanley Gambarin <gambarin@openmarket.com>
From: Ben Davenport <bpd@merc.com>
Subject: Re: mod_fastcgi version 1.4 is out

Stanley,

It seems this better handling of HTTP redirection breaks our scripts.
Here's the error message from our error_log:

[Sat Nov 23 15:32:38 1996] access to
/home/www/prod/merc/main/cgi/main_merc.cgi failed for 194.166.56.142,
reason: mod_fastcgi: Location CGI response header allowed only in response
to a GET or HEAD request

We use redirects in response to POSTs heavily.  For example, how else would
you implement the popup menu navigation features seen on many pages,
including ours?  Is there a good reason for eliminating this functionality,
when it worked fine before and works fine under standard CGI?

On another note, mod_fastcgi also complained about the Status header and
Location header being mutually exclusive:

[Sat Nov 23 15:30:39 1996] access to /home/www/prod/merc/wv/cgi/wv_merc.cgi
failed for 204.255.152.44, reason: mod_fastcgi: Status and Location CGI
response headers are mutually exclusive

CGI::Fast.pm prints out both of these headers to do a redirect.  Perhaps it
may not be supported by the CGI standard, but it seems to work correctly
with every browser I've ever tried it with.  Care to comment on this issue
Lincoln?

-Ben

--
Ben Davenport   <bpd@merc.com> (303) 675-2334
Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.