Re: Question: Selection of multiple processes

Stanley Gambarin (gambarin@openmarket.com)
Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:41:39 -0500

To: Lok Man Norman Tam <lnt+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Question: Selection of multiple processes
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 19:41:39 -0500
From: Stanley Gambarin <gambarin@openmarket.com>

> When I starts a fastcgi program with multiple processess, all of those
> processess shared the same unix domain socket. Under what rules is
> one of these processes  picked to serve a request? Is this different when
> I use cgi-fcgi to start the processes?
>
> norman

	There are no rules governing which FastCGI app picks the current request.
The next free FastCgi process is picked and the connection with it
is established.  "cgi-fcgi" acts in exactly the same way.
	The idea to route certain requests to certain FastCgi processes is
the core of session affinity, which was described in the previous messages
and also in FastCgi white paper (http://www.fastcgi.com/words).
Unfortunately, implementing session affinity with Apache server is not very
simple.  (see previous message for more explanations).
							Stanley.

* Stanley Gambarin			Open Market Inc.		      *
* FastCGI (soon-to-be) Guru		245 First St. Cambridge MA 02142      *
*					(617) - 949 - 7487		      *
* mailto:gambarin@openmarket.com					      *
* 				http://acs2.bu.edu:8001/~stanleyg (school)    *
*				mailto:stanleyg@cs.bu.edu		      *