Re: FastCGI/Win32

Darren Reinig (darren@aeonics.com)
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:02:45 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 17:02:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Darren Reinig <darren@aeonics.com>
To: il@devconsult.de
Subject: Re: FastCGI/Win32

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, cjs@iamerica.net wrote:

> > Is the fastcgi client library available for Win32? I'd like to run a
> > unix-web server with the fastcgi program running on a different
> > machine which uses NT.
>
> That would actually be quite useful.. for thse cost of most Unix based
> OBDC implementations, you could buy a copy of NT server and use its
> built-in odbc libraries to access just about any database under the
> sun (with an ODBC driver for windows). MS SQL is WAY cheaper then
> Informix or Oracle, but didn't have a socket interface the last time I
> looked.

I totally agree.  I think, however, that someone would have to port
Apache to NT, or OpenMarket could create an NT version of their web
server.   Otherwise, maybe some sort of fastCGI "patch" in either
Netscape's API or Micro$oft's API could be used to create a
persistent connection. (essentially a mod_fastcgi module using one of the
server's APIs).

Has anyone done any work towards this end?  As much as UNIX is the
superior OS, it would be nice to have across the board support for NT as
well.

Darren