Re: losing connections to FCGI procs

Corrie Curtice (corrie@openmarket.com)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:26:43 -0500

To: Ben Davenport <bpd@merc.com>
Subject: Re: losing connections to FCGI procs
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:26:43 -0500
From: Corrie Curtice <corrie@openmarket.com>

Ben,

> Also, I have not seen information anywhere regarding how to determine the
> number of OM server procs you should run given cpu power and web traffic.
> Obviously it's going to be less than what you'd expect with apache, since
> it's multithreaded... but how much less?

The exact number of optimal procs is hard to come by, since it is dependent
on the exact system configuration.  A good estimate can be obtained by
adding up the number of CPUs on the machine, plus the number of disks that
the content is located on.  This will be the best starting point for the
number of processes to run.  For the most typical site, 2-3 procs is plenty.
For more heavily loaded sites, with the right machine power, additional
processes will increase performance.  At some point, too many processes
actually degrade system performance.

> Sorry this is not wholly FastCGI related -- is there a mailing list for OM
> server discussion?

Not that I'm aware of, but it's a good idea.

Good luck.

--corrie

> -Ben
>
> On 12/5/96, you wrote:
>
> > the EXACT same thing happens for me (bianca.com)
> >
> > here is my short term hack to 'fix' the problem,
> > until it is officially fixed.
> >
> > i have a daemon that continually tails the error_log
> > looking for "Interruped system call" and  "Connection refused".
> > if found, the daemon SIGHUPS the httpd,
> > and continues tailing the error_log.
> >
> > as you pointed it,
> > the problem may appear again within seconds/minutes,
> > or not again for hours,
> > but atleast hupping the httpd gets things flowing again.
> >
> > {freeform}
> >

> --
> Ben Davenport   <bpd@merc.com>
> Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.

Corrie Curtice                              Voice:  617-949-7096
Open Market, Inc.                           Fax:    617-949-7137
245 First Street                            corrie@openmarket.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142              http://www.openmarket.com/