Re: losing connections to FCGI procs

Nat Guyton (nat@dsg.com)
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:54:24 -0600

To: Corrie Curtice <corrie@openmarket.com>
Subject: Re: losing connections to FCGI procs
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:54:24 -0600
From: Nat Guyton <nat@dsg.com>

> > Also, I have not seen information anywhere regarding how to determine the
> > number of OM server procs you should run given cpu power and web traffic.
> > Obviously it's going to be less than what you'd expect with apache, since
> > it's multithreaded... but how much less?

> The exact number of optimal procs is hard to come by, since it is
> dependent on the exact system configuration.  A good estimate can be
> obtained by adding up the number of CPUs on the machine, plus the
> number of disks that the content is located on.  This will be the
> best starting point for the number of processes to run.  For the
> most typical site, 2-3 procs is plenty.  For more heavily loaded
> sites, with the right machine power, additional processes will
> increase performance.  At some point, too many processes actually
> degrade system performance.

I also suggest turning on the sticky bit of your Perl executable (as
root, "chmod 1755 perl") so that all instances of perl running will
share the same space in memory, instead of each taking up their own.

% ls -lL `which perl`

-rwxr-xr-t   2 root       635768 Dec  4 18:08 /usr/local/bin/perl*

If anyone has reasons not to do this, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks,

		Nat Guyton