Re: losing connections to FCGI procs

Nigel Metheringham (Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net)
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:18:20 +0000

To: Nat Guyton <nat@dsg.com>
From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net>
Subject: Re: losing connections to FCGI procs
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 09:18:20 +0000

} I also suggest turning on the sticky bit of your Perl executable (as
} root, "chmod 1755 perl") so that all instances of perl running will
} share the same space in memory, instead of each taking up their own.

Under certain slightly strange circumstances this may help but not for the
reason that you think.  Basically it might help if you have closely spaced
non overlapping invocations.

Any reasonably modern unix - which I guess means anything beyond V7 - will
share the text memory for executables - as long as it is read-only (none
of this rewriting instructions on the fly).  If you have shared libraries
then these are shared too... which means that a new executable (ie one
without an already running copy), when run, will have less of a memory
(and disk for that matter) footprint.

Perl of course compiles its script into memory.  This "executable" cannot
be shared among invocations (without recourse to the perl compiler kit).

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]