Re: fastcgi processes start but the web server doesn't

Michael Smith (mjs@cursci.co.uk)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:47:28 +0000

Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:47:28 +0000
From: Michael Smith <mjs@cursci.co.uk>
To: "cjs@iamerica.net" <cjs2895@ns1.zencom.com>
Subject: Re: fastcgi processes start but the web server doesn't

cjs@iamerica.net wrote:

> >       - another alternative is to check for parent pid of the
> > FastCGI process manager usign getppid().  If it is 1 (no parent), then
> > we can assume that httpd daemon is not running and die.
>
> Short of modifying Apache, which may not be an option if the Apache
> group disagrees with your changes, I like the one listed above. If
> apache calls some sorta module shutdown procedure before terminations,
> that would be a logical place too.
>
> Christopher

Unfortunately, when I run apache with both fastcgi and SSL support, this
is exactly what happens - the fastcgi process manager has no parent,
though apache seems to run without problems.  Stanley has had some
thoughts about why this happens but (I believe) no solution.

On another point, after a weekend of my server running (apache
v1.1/fastcgi v1.4), I get a pageful of this in my shell window (not in
the error log).

mod_fastcgi.c:1622: failed assertion `count >= 0 && count <=
bufPtr->length'
mod_fastcgi.c:1852: failed assertion `len > 0'

Any ideas what might cause this?

Mike