fastcgi-enabled perl for BSDI 2.1 -- YES!

Gary Shea (shea@xmission.com)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:10:15 -0700

Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:10:15 -0700
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
From: shea@xmission.com (Gary Shea)
Subject: fastcgi-enabled perl for BSDI 2.1 -- YES!

Howdy folks... after much struggle of the tweak-and-recompile-
perl variety, I have finally managed to compile a perl for BSDI/2.1
that has sfio turned on and passes all perl tests.  I did NOT
include the fastCGI-originated hacks, as I find them personally
distasteful :), but since there is a FCGI module for the sfio-based
perl, that hopefully won't be a problem.  Not sure just yet.

Anyway, I built perl5.003_10 using CC=shlicc2 (gcc won't work).
Had to remove the following line from sfhio.h:

#define SF_APPEND        SF_APPENDWR     /* BSDI messed up the namespace*/

And of course building sfiolib.a is a bit of a struggle with
./sfio/bin/iffe which must be patched to use /bin/ksh, to use
gcc instead of cc, and the line which calls 'proto' commented out.

As I mentioned before,
when the make dies while trying to build Stdio_b, just forget
about it, and copy sfio.h and libsfio.a to their respective
install directories and be done with it.

Hope someone cares!

        Gary
Gary Shea                                          Salt Lake City, Utah
shea@xmission.com                         http://www.xmission.com/~shea