Re: problems building sfio under BSD

Gary Shea (shea@xmission.com)
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:51:51 -0700

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:51:51 -0700
To: root <root@ns1.zencom.com>, nms@nns.ru (Nickolay Saukh)
From: shea@xmission.com (Gary Shea)
Subject: Re: problems building sfio under BSD

Well, it appears that in Perl it allows a C-based
class to redirect stdout through a 'discipline'
which is an arbitary function.  Therefore the FCGI
class can be implemented so that at its compile time
an FCGI discipline is installed, and future 'print'
calls will be processed by the fcgi packaging code.

That's my understanding, anyway.  I'm excited about
sfio and am planning to write a simple (I hope!)
module to allow Perl-level disciplines.

        Gary

At 04:42 PM 1/13/97 -0600, root wrote:
>Pardon me for asking here, but I've seen a LOT of mention here about
>sfio and I'm really curious whats so great about it. It looks to me
>like your average STDIO package with the ability to have in-memory
>files. Does it do other things?
>
>What are y'all using it for? =)
>
>Christopher
>
>> > Interestingly, I didn't have as many problems as you, and not
>> > the same ones... I had a mismatch only on the def'n of select,
>> > which BSDI failed to 'const' an argument of.  I took the const
>> > out of the sfhdr.h prototype and it compiled and tested
>> > just fine.
>>
>> It depends on so called version. I started with original sfio, got
>> roughly the same problems under solaris-2.5.1. But then I got sfio-oct95
>> from
>>
>> 	http://www.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/src/misc/
>>
>> and everything was fine (but const in select too).

Gary Shea                                          Salt Lake City, Utah
shea@xmission.com                         http://www.xmission.com/~shea