Questions configuring Apache for FastCGI

Nat Holder (nath@math.earlham.edu)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:33:32 -0500 (EST)

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:33:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Nat Holder <nath@math.earlham.edu>
Subject: Questions configuring Apache for FastCGI

Hello,

I hope this is the appropriate place for these questions.  I'm running
Apache 1.2b4 with the mod_fcgi version which came with it (I can't find a
version number anywhere in the apache release for fcgi).  I'm running dec
ultrix 4.4 on risc hardware.  Here are my questions:

1) I received the following error when invoking httpd:
Syntax error on line 35 of /home/bin/apache_1.2b4/conf/httpd.conf:
FastCgiIpcDir: Need read/write/exec permission on directory

The config file has in it:

# This is how you'd place the Unix-domain socket files in the logs
# directory (you'd probably want to create a subdirectory for them.)
# Don't do this until you've verified that the server works with
# the socket files stored locally, in /tmp.
FastCgiIpcDir /home/bin/apache_1.2b4/logs/fcgi-socket-files

and an ls -l on fcgi-socket-files shows:

drwxrwxrwx  2 root          512 Jan 22 10:22 fcgi-socket-files

I've set

User nobody

but shouldn't nobody have permission to write to the fcgi-socket-files
directory? (all parent directories of fcgi-socket-files are world readable
and executable)

2) I've successfully been able to execute fcgi programs by setting,

AddType application/x-httpd-fcgi .fcg

and having all fcgi programs end in .fcg.  What I'd like is to have a
/fcgi-bin directory where all of the fcgi programs, but the directive

<Directory /home/www/www2/fcgi-bin>
SetHandler fastcgi-script
</Directory>

doesn't seem to work, and results in the binary program /fcgi-bin/echo.fcg
being returned to the web client instead of the execution results.  Does
anyone have any thoughts on how to configure the equivelent of a cgi-bin
directory for fcgi?

3) Trying to add the fastcgi-script handler doesn't seem to work, and
results in the same error as the SetHandler directive gave me:

AddHandler fastcgi-script fcg

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Nat Holder
nath@math.earlham.edu