Re: Questions configuring Apache for FastCGI

Stanley Gambarin (gambarin@OpenMarket.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 15:25:08 -0500

To: Nat Holder <nath@math.earlham.edu>
Subject: Re: Questions configuring Apache for FastCGI
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 15:25:08 -0500
From: Stanley Gambarin <gambarin@OpenMarket.com>

> 1) I received the following error when invoking httpd:
> Syntax error on line 35 of /home/bin/apache_1.2b4/conf/httpd.conf:
> FastCgiIpcDir: Need read/write/exec permission on directory
>
> User nobody

	In order to figure out if information can be written into
the directory specified by FastCgiIpcDir, a function is called that
traverses file system from the root, checking the all higher parent
directories have read/exec access and target directory will have write
access as well.  Check the parent directories for proper permissions.
Also, you should not run the processes as nobody, since it creates certain
problems in some situations.  Instead, you should create a separate
group (http) and run all server-related processes under it.

> 2) I've successfully been able to execute fcgi programs by setting,
>
> AddType application/x-httpd-fcgi .fcg
>
> and having all fcgi programs end in .fcg.  What I'd like is to have a
> /fcgi-bin directory where all of the fcgi programs, but the directive
>
> <Directory /home/www/www2/fcgi-bin>
> SetHandler fastcgi-script
> </Directory>
>
> doesn't seem to work, and results in the binary program /fcgi-bin/echo.fcg
	First of all, you should download the latest version of mod_fastcgi
from our website http://www.fastcgi.com/servers/apache/  This version has
the latest improvements, including new features.  As for the problem
described above: we have had some problems with SSI and using Directory
directives, but that was fixed in 1.2b1 (i can use <directory> just fine
using your configuration above).  What could be a potential problem are
certain limit directives, such as allow, deny, which restrict access to
the server parts.  Make sure that you have correctly configured those
directives.

> 3) Trying to add the fastcgi-script handler doesn't seem to work, and
> results in the same error as the SetHandler directive gave me:
>
> AddHandler fastcgi-script fcg

	This problem is related to the above and once you resolve it,
both AddHandler, SetHandler and ForceType will function in the proper
way.
P.S> I have tested Directory and Location directives under 1.2b1 and new
mod_fastcgi.c and it seems to work fine.  I am not aware of any significant
changes that have been made to 1.2b4 so produce above behavior, but you
should check it anyways.
							Stanley.