Re: Questions configuring Apache for FastCGI

Nat Holder (nath@math.earlham.edu)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:26:16 -0500 (EST)

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:26:16 -0500 (EST)
From: Nat Holder <nath@math.earlham.edu>
Subject: Re: Questions configuring Apache for FastCGI

I'm now using mod_fastcgi v.1.4.3 (from www.fastcgi.com).

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Stanley Gambarin wrote:

> > 1) I received the following error when invoking httpd:
> > Syntax error on line 35 of /home/bin/apache_1.2b4/conf/httpd.conf:
> > FastCgiIpcDir: Need read/write/exec permission on directory
> >
> > User nobody
> >
> 	In order to figure out if information can be written into
> the directory specified by FastCgiIpcDir, a function is called that
> traverses file system from the root, checking the all higher parent
> directories have read/exec access and target directory will have write
> access as well.  Check the parent directories for proper permissions.
> Also, you should not run the processes as nobody, since it creates certain
> problems in some situations.  Instead, you should create a separate
> group (http) and run all server-related processes under it.

I changed the User to httpd, but it still didn't work.  By trial and
error, I found out that if any of the parents of the fcgi-socket-files
directory are of group id 82, it doesn't work (complains about
"FastCgiIpcDir: Need read/write/exec permission on directory"), but if
they are all of group 'system', then it works. I didn't change any of the
permissions on any of the directories for it to work.  What's up?

-Nat Holder
nath@math.earlham.edu