Number of processes and slow FCGIs

Aleksandr Gleyzer (aqg4993@is3.nyu.edu)
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 10:52:19 -0500

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 10:52:19 -0500
From: Aleksandr Gleyzer <aqg4993@is3.nyu.edu>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Number of processes and slow FCGIs

I was playing with making our search CGIs (ProC + Oracle) FastCGI. We
are using SPARC Solaris 2.5 and OMI httpd. Now I'm trying to figure out
what the server does then all running FastCGI processes are busy
responding. Does it "fork" a new process, or just waits for the running
processes to finish? Our search program is pretty slow, it takes about
15 sec to complete the query, so when I have 4 FCGI processes running,
and I reload the page without waiting for search to complete with Ctrl-R
(trying to emulate a heavy-load situation :)), I get "Server error" (and
"broken pipe" in the error.log) pretty quickly. At the same time with
CGI version of the same search prog, the server just forks as many
processess as it needs, and it works fine.

So is it the only solution to keep 15 (or more) FCGI processes all the
time and pray that we won't get more than 15 requests in 15 sec? (I
guess we could)