Redirection following POST

Michael Smith (mjs@cursci.co.uk)
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 16:02:35 +0000

Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 16:02:35 +0000
From: Michael Smith <mjs@cursci.co.uk>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Redirection following POST

According to the README of mod_fastcgi.c (I think I am up to date here):

3.  The response header parser performed very little checking.
    Now the parser enforces the guidelines in the CGI/1.1
    Internet-Draft: Status and Location are mutually exclusive,
    Location can only be a response to GET or HEAD,
    CGI response headers can't be repeated, etc.  (The CGI response
    headers are the ones the handler interprets: Status, Location,
    and Content-type.)

--

Yet I've just been sent the following from the HTTP/1.1 spec:

> 10.3.4 303 See Other
>
>    The response to the request can be found under a different URI and
>    SHOULD be retrieved using a GET method on that resource. This method
>    exists primarily to allow the output of a POST-activated script to
>    redirect the user agent to a selected resource. The new URI is not a
>    substitute reference for the originally requested resource. The 303
>    response is not cachable, but the response to the second (redirected)
>    request MAY be cachable.
>
>    If the new URI is a location, its URL SHOULD be given by the Location
>    field in the response. Unless the request method was HEAD, the entity
>    of the response SHOULD contain a short hypertext note with a
>    hyperlink to the new URI(s).

These seem to be slightly contradictory to me (though one is HTTP and
one is CGI).

Bearing this in mind, would it make sense for apache+fcgi to redirect
following a post if a Status: 303 was given?

Mike