[fwd]Re: Returning image/gif Content-type

Stanley Gambarin (gambarin@OpenMarket.com)
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 17:09:58 -0500

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: [fwd]Re: Returning image/gif Content-type
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 17:09:58 -0500
From: Stanley Gambarin <gambarin@OpenMarket.com>

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Brian Millett" <bpm@terraweb.com>
To: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net>
CC: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Re: Returning image/gif Content-type
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 09:32:03 -0600

Nigel Metheringham writes:

 |} I was trying to write a little fcgi app last night which returned a gif
 |} created on the fly using the gd library. I figured that I'd just need to
 |} put out a content type header of image/gif, then write the gif to
 |} stdout. However, this doesn't seem to have worked - the error logs on
 |} the web server suggest a malformed content type header. Has anyone else
 |} tried something like this and got it working? I checked the list
 |} archive, and someone asked the same question a while back but got no
 |} answer.
 |
 |getting gd to write stdout is a bit of a problem - basically it needs to
 |fork and do things that way (seemed odd to me too!).  I expect the data
 |packaging for the multiplexed FCGI output stream is getting all mixed up
 |because of this.
 |
 |Try getting gd to write the gif to a temp file (which it does without
 |forking), then open and read that temp file, writing the data down the
 |output, finally unlinking the temp file.

This was also the problem using GD.pm from Lincoln Stein
<http://www.genome.wi.mit.edu/ftp/pub/software/WWW/GD.html>

But he rewrote the perl module so that it works just fine with fcgi.
I don't have any problems with it in my fcgi perl applications.

- --
Brian Millett
Technology Applications Inc.     "Heaven can not exist,
(314) 530-1981                          If the family is not eternal"
bpm@techapp.com                   F. Ballard Washburn

------- End of Forwarded Message