Re: shell scripts as FastCGI?

Stanley Gambarin (gambarin@OpenMarket.com)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:37:03 -0500

To: Olivier Lefevre <nnylfv@ny.ubs.com>
Subject: Re: shell scripts as FastCGI?
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:37:03 -0500
From: Stanley Gambarin <gambarin@OpenMarket.com>

> I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question but is it
> conceivable to use a mere shell script (sh or ksh) as a
> FastCGI program and if so, how?

	You can not use a simple shell script as a FastCGI program.  Since
shell script can not persist across multiple HTTP requests, it can not be
used as a FastCGI application.  For the program to handle multiple HTTP
requests in its own lifetime (i.e. not just handle requests and die, like
CGI applications), it needs some means to communicate with the web server
to recieve a request, and send the reply back to the server after handling
it.  This communication is accomplished via FCGI library, which implements
the above and it currently supports only a subset of programming languages,
like C, Perl, Tcl, Java... In short, it does NOT support shell.
					Hope that cleared it up a bit.
								Stanley.