Re: Apache 1.2b6, Oracle7, and FastCGI 1.4.3

Jim Johnstone (jimj@lexis-nexis.com)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:44:41 -0500

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:44:41 -0500
From: Jim Johnstone <jimj@lexis-nexis.com>
To: "Noah M. Couture" <noah@myriadagency.com>
Subject: Re: Apache 1.2b6, Oracle7, and FastCGI 1.4.3

In your message, you said:

 > Hello,
 >
 >   Does anybody out there have any experience using the above combination?

Apache 1.2b6, Oracle7.3.2, not sure which version of fcgi, Solaris 5.5.1
(how did you determine fcgi version?). We use some shared libs, but not the
Oracle ones.

 > Heres the problem. Im writing a C (Pro*C) web application. It is compiled
 > with Oracle shared libraries. In order for the operating system
 > (Solaris 2.5.1, btw) to load the executable, it needs to find the Oracle
 > libraries. In order for this to happen, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
 > variable must include their path. There are also a couple of other environment
 > vars that Oracle likes. Heres what I tried:
 >
 > AppClass /disk/columbia/website/www/browse.fcgi -initial-env ORACLE_HOME=/ora01/
 > app/oracle/product/7.3.2 -initial-env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/ora01/app/oracle/product/
 > 7.3.2/lib -initial-env ORACLE_SID=jrc
 >
 > I also have the <Location> stuff to set the handler.
 >
 > However, it did not work. I still get this:
 >
 > ld.so.1: browse-autos.cgi: fatal: libclntsh.so.1.0: can't open file: errno=2

I assume if you set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then run ldd on the binary it
resolves OK from a shell prompt.

try starting a ksh wrapper from the AppClass cmd, then echo the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the wrapper before exec'ing the binary. You can also do
ls -l or something to make sure the directory is visible. Or, you can add
an appclass for the echo example fcgi instead of your binary, I think it
echos the initial environment.

Does the binary work as a standard cgi? (you shouldn't have to change
anything to test this, except copy it to the cgi-bin dir). If all else
fails, you could link statically for a while.

There are issues with using shell wrappers long-term. See previous posts.

When you get it I'd like to hear the final resolution.