Re: shell scripts as FastCGI?

Bob Ramstad (rramstad@nfic.com)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:25:29 -0500 (EST)

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:25:29 -0500 (EST)
From: Bob Ramstad <rramstad@nfic.com>
To: gambarin@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Re: shell scripts as FastCGI?

   > I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question but is it
   > conceivable to use a mere shell script (sh or ksh) as a
   > FastCGI program and if so, how?

let me give you a somewhat different answer.  a sophisticated
programmer who knew a lot about FastCGI and shell programming could
write code which would allow shell programs to use FastCGI much as the
current FastCGI libraries allow C, Perl, Tcl and Java programs to use
FastCGI.

this would be quite difficult for most shells, and likely impossible
for some shells -- it might even require modification of the internals
of the shell itself.  modern shells do allow for looping constructs
and processing in background so programs *could* persist across HTTP
requests -- the hard part would be to get the shell to communicate
properly with the web server.

long and short, if you are looking for a simple scripting language
which can use FastCGI now without additional substantial programming
effort, i'd recommend Perl or Tcl.

-- Bob