Re: OS Permission Denied.. Again...

Sandy Kydd (sandy@dmcsoft.com)
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:12:02 +0100

Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:12:02 +0100
From: Sandy Kydd <sandy@dmcsoft.com>
To: Emanuele Berti <fberti@mbox.vol.it>
Subject: Re: OS Permission Denied.. Again...

Emanuele Berti wrote:

> We are having troubles running the fast-cgi module for Apache - Linux.
> When someone tries to connect to the demo script echo.fcg the server
> returns an OS error: 'Permission Denied'.
>
> We have seen in previous messages that someone else had the same problem,
> but the fix suggested is already present in our release of the module.
>
> Since it's more than two days we are trying to sort this out, we hope
> someone of you can give us the clue to solve out problems.

I also had this problem running the Apache module on Linux. What it
turned out to be was the Unix domain socket files were created with the
wrong permissions. The Apache server was configured to run as user
nobody, but was started by root on bootup. The fcgi process ended up
running as the correct user, but the socket files were created owned by
root, and the httpd user didn't have permission to read/write them.

If you haven't specified a different directory in the Apache conf files
using the FastCgiIpcDir directive they should be in /tmp, named
something like OM_WS_*. Just make sure your Apache server user has
read/write permissions to these.

I haven't found a proper fix for this (i.e. so I don't have to change
the file permissions). I'd be interested in hearing about anyone who has
sorted this out.

Sandy

--
Sandy Kydd <sandy@dmcsoft.com>