What's a good, stable FastCGI platform?

JimBenster@aol.com
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:04:14 -0500 (EST)

From: JimBenster@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:04:14 -0500 (EST)
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: What's a good, stable FastCGI platform?

Hello,

I'm a member of a team developing a product that will involve use of FastCGI
and some UNIX-hosted web server. There may end up being 1000's of
installations of the web-server computer throughout the world, many in
3rd-world countries where cost might be a gating factor. The purpose of the
project/product is to allow collaborative solutions to the major, unresolved
issues facing the world by bringing our collective wisdon and information to
bear, globally, so that everyone world-wide has a chance to make their
contributions.

In the same vein, I'd like to make use of the collective experience of this
community to get some recommendations as to what would be an inexpensive,
stable, reliable, and easy-to-maintain platform on which to host such web
service. (We would likely be running the Apache web server on Pentium Pro
hardware.)

Some possible OS candidates would be
    Linux
    BSDI 3.0
    Solaris
I don't want to limit consideration to just these options, but they're what
I'm currently considering.

I'd be grateful if you would share with me your experiences, ideas, comments,
etc. about the above-mentioned subjects. Any contribution, however brief,
would helpful.

--Jim Benster
415/488-1146