Q: Multiple process problem with Oracle on Sun Solaris

Gupta, Shinu (shinu@webvalue.com)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:36:26 -0500 (EST)

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:36:26 -0500 (EST)
From: "Gupta, Shinu" <shinu@webvalue.com>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Q: Multiple process problem with Oracle on Sun Solaris

hi:

i have been using fastcgi with most of my web sites using oracle on sun solaris
2.5. i recently launched a site http://www.a1books.com which apparently is
getting a big number of hits and the performance of the site is very very poor.

we are using apache web server which is not fast cgi enabled. so i am using the
cgi-fcgi to achieve the persistent connection. i have a script:

#!/some_abs_path/cgi-fcgi -f
-connect search.soc ./mycgi 4

mycgi is a c++ executable which connects to oracle. i want to run 4 instances.
often i see more than 4 processes in my process list. sometimes as many as
15-20 and the whole systems comes to a halt. then i am forces to kill each
process and execute the cgi again which again launches 4 processes. mostly this
happens under extreme loads or when two people try to execute the cgi program
simultaneously when non is running.

so after killing - if i run the cgi and someone also tries to run it at the
same time - i might suddenly see 8 processes.

also i see a number of processes like:
/some_abs_path/cgi-fcgi -f /some_abs_path/mycgi

why should i ever see more than 4 processes - and how can i fix this problem.

                        Shinu Gupta (shinu@webvalue.com)

       http://www.webvalue.com                     http://www.a1books.com