FastCGI and Apache Problems

Graham Potts (graham@pncl.co.uk)
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:13:18 +0000

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:13:18 +0000
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
From: Graham Potts <graham@pncl.co.uk>
Subject: FastCGI and Apache Problems

Hi,
I have been using fastcgi with Apache 1.2b4 for some months now with no
problems at all. Over the weekend we did several things:

1. Moved the entire web site onto a different system.
2. Upgraded the Apache Server to 1.2b7

The build of Apache went as normal. This version did not have the Fastcgi
module in the Apache distribution so we got one from the fastcgi site.

The site has been up and running since saturday and we now have a problem
which appears periodically. One or two of the more heavily used fastcgi
processes fails after about an hour of running. A 500 error is returned to
the web browser and the Apache error log shows errors to the effect that the
connections to the fastcgi process have been refused.

Does anybody know what may be causing this and how I can work out what to do
to fix it? I can currently keep things running by sending a HUP to the
Apache server every 30 minutes to get all the processes restarted.

Many thanks,
Graham Potts
Pinnacle Internet, UK.