Re: [fwd] How to SysAdmin Apache FCGI ?

Tom Neff (tneff@ns1.bloomberg.com)
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 14:29:00 -0500

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 14:29:00 -0500
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
From: Tom Neff <tneff@ns1.bloomberg.com>
Subject: Re: [fwd] How to SysAdmin Apache FCGI ?

At 11:58 AM 3/5/97 -0500, Caleb Deupree wrote:
>    >> How does one refresh an AppClass executeable without doing a
>    >> kill -SIGHUP on httpd?
>
>We wrote a cgi-bin program to perform tasks like this.  It runs as the
>same user who owns the web server processes, so it can perform many of
>the sysadmin tasks on individual processes.

Since answers keep coming in that appear not to have noticed my earlier
posting, let me repeat the following point:

IT IS NOT SAFE TO KILL AppClass PROCESSES OUTRIGHT.

The webserver can get out of sync (and leak resources) unless the AppClass
executable does an FCGI_Finish() and exits gracefully.

The right way to do it is to notify the AppClass executable that it needs
to quit, via any mechanism you like (IPC, signals, control files, etc).
The server should reload it automatically after that.
--
Tom Neff			Bloomberg, L.P.
<tneff@bloomberg.com>