Re: [fwd] How to SysAdmin Apache FCGI ?

Caleb Deupree (
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:33:40 -0500

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:33:40 -0500
From: Caleb Deupree <>
Subject: Re: [fwd] How to SysAdmin Apache FCGI ?

    Tom> Since answers keep coming in that appear not to have noticed
    Tom> my earlier posting, let me repeat the following point:

    Tom> The webserver can get out of sync (and leak resources) unless
    Tom> the AppClass executable does an FCGI_Finish() and exits
    Tom> gracefully.

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that restarting the
server using the advertised method (e.g., kill -HUP `cat`)
will cause the AppClass executables and the web server to get out of
sync and leak resources?  I understand your point about restarting
*individual instances* of AppClass executables with custom signals, but
I also thought that the advertised method, which covers *all*
subprocesses, was safe as well.

The cgi-bin program that we have only sends HUP or TERM to the
contents of the file, and provides the ability for one of a
group of developers to re-initialize his/her particular AppClass
(accepting the side effect of re-initializing all of them), in
exchange for tracking down the owner of the processes.  This script is
only used in a fairly dynamic development environment behind a
firewall, for the convenience of a group of developers.  We would
*never* consider or recommend putting such a script on a production

However, if the advertised method of restarting a server causes leaks
or other resource problems, this is new information, and we will need
to account for these side effects in our development.

Caleb Deupree

For every complex question there is a simple answer, and it is wrong.
(H. L. Mencken)