[fwd] Compiling perl5.003 on DEC Alpha

Stanley Gambarin (gambarin@OpenMarket.com)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:00:41 -0500

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: [fwd] Compiling perl5.003 on DEC Alpha
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:00:41 -0500
From: Stanley Gambarin <gambarin@OpenMarket.com>

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 22:28:14 -0500
From: Al Byers <byersa@agva.com>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Compiling perl5.003 on DEC Alpha

I could use some help in installing Perl5.003_07 with sfio. I am
installing for use with the Apache 1.2b7 server. I am running on an
Alpha, OSF/1(3.2). I installed the sfio library per the instructions at
http://www.fastcgi.com/kit/doc/fcgi-perl.htm#S2 . I also untar'd
perl5.003 per the instructions(I think), ran './Configure -Duseperlio
- -Dusesfio' and 'make depend'.

My problem is that in both the make depend and the make operations, I
get warnings that in varargs.h, the macro va_start is being redefined.
In util.c, the compile fails because va_start has the wrong number of
arguments. I assume that is because both stdarg.h and varargs.h are
being included, but this is as far as my Unix development experience can
take me. I cannot find where I_STDARG or I_VARARGS are being set, or if
they are really the problem. The output during make looks like this:

`sh  cflags libperl.a miniperlmain.o`  miniperlmain.c
          CCCMD =  cc -DPERL_CORE -c -DSTANDARD_C -I/usr/local/include
- -D__LANGUAGE_C__ -D_NO_PROTO -I/disk2/home/byersa/perl5/sfio97/include
- -O2 -Olimit 2900
/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/cfe: Warning: /usr/include/varargs.h:34: Macro
va_start redefined.
`sh  cflags libperl.a perl.o`  perl.c

I would appreciate any help.
- --

Al Byers                      Automation Group of Virginia
P.O. Box 1091                 Waynesboro, VA 22980
540.949.8777                  byersa@agva.com

------- End of Forwarded Message