FastCGI and perl modules

Conrad Damon (damon@netserver.Stanford.EDU)
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:05:23 -0800

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: FastCGI and perl modules
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:05:23 -0800
From: Conrad Damon <damon@netserver.Stanford.EDU>

I managed to build perl5.003_92 with sfio and the FCGI module and echo-perl (a
simple example) worked fine, using Apache 1.2b7. The next thing I want to do
is run some perl scripts that use modules. I blundered ahead into building the
latest GD (with -DFCGI) - it compiled okay, but if I try to use it (e.g. for
"make test") I get a symbol relocation error:

Can't load './blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so' for module GD: ld.so.1:
/usr/local/perl5-fcgi/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: symbol not found:
_fcgi_sF: referenced in ./blib/arch/auto/GD/GD.so at
/usr/local/perl5-fcgi/lib/sun4-solaris/5.00393/DynaLoader.pm line 157.

Maybe it's expecting perl with fcgi_stdio, I don't know.

Which leads me to the general question: Is there anywhere I could find
documentation on using perl modules with FastCGI? Do I need to rebuild the
ones that are dynamically loaded, and hope they have provisions for FastCGI?
Does perl 5.003_93 change anything significantly?

The slow load time of scripts that use a lot of perl modules is the reason I'm
investigating FastCGI, hoping to load those at app startup.

Thanks,

Conrad