FCGI/perl memory leakage

Conrad Damon (damon@netserver.Stanford.EDU)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:21:34 -0800

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: FCGI/perl memory leakage
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:21:34 -0800
From: Conrad Damon <damon@netserver.Stanford.EDU>

Hi folks,

I'm working on porting some of our cgi-bin scripts to FastCGI and have found
that no matter how small the script, the fastcgi process seems to grow. My
setup is SunOS, perl5.00395, FCGI 0.28, apache 1.2.

Watching the process via top, it grows by 4K every 3 or 4 requests. This
happens even with tiny-perl-fcgi (which allocates only one variable), so it
wouldn't seem to be the app code. The only other place I can think it might be
happening is in the FCGI module. Any ideas? Has anyone else noticed this? The
solution for now is to just kill off the app after x requests (remembering to
call FCGI::finish). Watched one of the C examples, and it didn't grow at all.

Conrad