Re: FCGI/perl memory leakage

Eric J. Schwertfeger (ejs@bfd.com)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:54:40 -0800 (PST)

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:54:40 -0800 (PST)
From: "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To: Sven Verdoolaege <skimo@breughel.ufsia.ac.be>
Subject: Re: FCGI/perl memory leakage

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Sven Verdoolaege wrote:

> On Mar 31, damon@netserver.Stanford.EDU (Conrad Damon) wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm working on porting some of our cgi-bin scripts to FastCGI and have found
> > that no matter how small the script, the fastcgi process seems to grow. My
> > setup is SunOS, perl5.00395, FCGI 0.28, apache 1.2.
> >
> > Watching the process via top, it grows by 4K every 3 or 4 requests. This
> > happens even with tiny-perl-fcgi (which allocates only one variable), so it
> > wouldn't seem to be the app code. The only other place I can think it might be
> > happening is in the FCGI module. Any ideas? Has anyone else noticed this? The
> > solution for now is to just kill off the app after x requests (remembering to
> > call FCGI::finish). Watched one of the C examples, and it didn't grow at all.
>
> No one has ever reported this. If I find the time, I'll have a look.
> I you or anyone (some one with Purify, for example) can pinpoint
> the leakage, please let me know.

It would explain a problem I have with a Fast-CGI chat room that gets
about 10K hits a day, coredumping after it runs the system out of
swapspace, and why my test harness to track the problem didn't show the
problem, since it was a freestanding perl program.  Oh, this is under
FreeBSD 2.2GAMMA and a fast-stdlib version of Perl5.003