Re: FastCGI SSI hit counter

Stanley Gambarin (gambarin@OpenMarket.com)
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:08:25 -0500

To: Pierre Didierjean <pdj@web-data.fr>
Subject: Re: FastCGI SSI hit counter
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:08:25 -0500
From: Stanley Gambarin <gambarin@OpenMarket.com>

> I'm looking for a multi-thread SSI counter, using shared memory and
> semaphore to increase the count without troubles
>
> Does anyone build this before ?

	Question: why do you need a multi-threaded counter, when the
desired functionality can be obtained with a simple setup as follows:

	- modify tiny-fcgi program provided in the developers kit
	(which is available on http://www.fastcgi.com/applibs) to
	output the count value in the desired format.
	- configure your server to start tiny-fcgi
	e.g. in Apache
		AppClass /full/path/to/tiny-fcgi
		<Location /full/path/to/tiny-fcgi>
		SetHandler fastcgi-script
		</Location>
	-in your web page, include (SSI) the counter:
	e.g. in Apache
		<!--#include virtual="/path/relative/to/docroot/tiny-fcgi"-->

	That's it, no MT is necessary.  If you are expecting a very high
load, you can start more than one copy of the tiny-fcgi at one.  Finally,
if you still want to use multi-threading, you will have to wait for a while,
since there is currently no support for multithreading FastCGI applications.

						Hope that was of some help.
							Stanley.