"failed assertion, header.version" with Perl

Mark L. Bennett (mbennett@ideaeng.com)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 23:39:12 -0700

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 23:39:12 -0700
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
From: "Mark L. Bennett" <mbennett@ideaeng.com>
Subject: "failed assertion, header.version" with Perl

We downloaded and built the latest copies of
Perl/FastCGI last week.
We have successfully ran some test programs,
and I was working on a larger program.

I'm now getting "document contains no data" and
the server reports
"mod_fastcgi.c:3630: failed assertion `header.version == FCGI_VERSION'"

I've seen some references in the archive, but I didn't see
any with the version message.  Also, the fix offered was
to change some C code, but I'm using Perl.

Oddly, if I comment out some print statements, it starts
to work again.  I'm using Perl print to send some debug
statements back to the browser.

I've got it down to commenting out one arbitrary print
statement that makes it work; I don't think there's anything
special about that line of code.
Even in that one line of code, changing a few characters
in the string can make it work or fail ????
I know that sounds strange, but I've seen it!

Comments appreciated,
Mark

Mark L. Bennett                               New Idea Engineering, Inc
mbennett@ideaeng.com   "Programming, training    http://www.ideaeng.com
Phone: (408)733-0387       and consulting"        329 East McKinley Ave
  Fax: (408)241-0388                               Sunnyvale, CA  94086