Problems making sfio!!!

Brian Millett (bpm@techapp.com)
Thu, 8 May 1997 09:10:45 -0500

From: "Brian Millett" <bpm@techapp.com>
To: Scott Meeuwsen <smeeuwsen@hayburn.com>
Subject: Problems making sfio!!!
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 09:10:45 -0500

Scott Meeuwsen writes:
 |To Whom It May Concern:
 |
 |I just downloaded the SFIO97 package for use with Perl 5.003_99 and am
 |attempting to make it.  I am receiving the following error while making
 |the sfio package.
 |
 |export CC; CC=cc; ../../../bin/iffe run features/sfio
 |../../../bin/iffe: 56: Sytax error: Bad substitution
 |*** Error code 2
 |
 |Stop.
 |
 |I am VERY new to unix, but not to programming.  Is this not saying that
 |we have a syntax error on line 56 of the script iffe?  Is this a bug in
 |my /bin/sh??? or in the program?  Oh..by the way I am running FreeBSD
 |2.1.7.  Please help!  Thanks ahead of time...

What I did to get it to work on my system (Solaris 2.4, gcc 2.7.2) was
change two lines of iffe:

line 1, change ":" to "#!/bin/ksh"

line 16, change "occ=cc" to "occ=$CC"

Then I made sure that I set CC=gcc in the Make invocation.  Like this:
"make CC=gcc"

It then worked just fine.

--
Brian Millett
Technology Applications Inc.     "Heaven can not exist,