Re: building Perl with sfio

Ken Alexander (kalex@eecs.umich.edu)
Mon, 12 May 1997 13:30:46 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 13:30:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Alexander <kalex@eecs.umich.edu>
To: barron@EESUN2.tamu.edu, fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Re:  building Perl with sfio

> From: Raul Gonzalez Barron <barron@EESUN2.tamu.edu>
> rebuilding Perl, I have checked it thoroughly and I did not see anywhere
> the following question (that I am supposed to see, according to step 7
> of the literature @ http://www.fastcgi.com/kit/doc/fcgi-perl.htm#S2 )
> during the configuration process:
>
> Perl5 can now use alternate file IO mechanisms to ANSI stdio. However
> these are experimental and may cause problems with some extension
> modules. Use stdio as with previous versions? [y]
> You should answer no.
>
> Is there something I am doing wrong? Does the configuration needs to
> be done with any additional flags?

The instructions at fastcgi.com are out of date.  It doesn't ask that question.

First, you need to run Configure with the extra args as it says:

   ./Configure -Duseperlio -Dusesfio

And then make sure you answer these two questions:

>>> Use the experimental PerlIO abstraction layer? yes

>>> You seem to have sfio available, do you want to try using it? yes

If it says this, then you screwed up:

>>> Sorry, cannot find sfio on this machine
>>> Ignoring your setting of usesfio=true/define

It tells you to add "..../sfio/lib" to your "additional ld flags".
I found that under solaris 2.5, I had to *ALSO* add it to my
"library perusal path", or Configure wouldn't find sfio.

(Solaris 2.5 has a problem with sfio fastcgi though, where multiple fcgi
processes keep quitting.  You didn't mention your platform, but don't use
sfio under solaris 2.5 until someone fixes that problem.)

--
 Ken Alexander          JSTOR / UMDL                +1 313 647 6316
 kalex@umich.edu        University of Michigan      +1 313 647 6897 fax