Re: is fastcgi dead? say it ain't so

Jonathan Roy (
Tue, 20 May 1997 10:45:20 -0400

Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 10:45:20 -0400
To: Mario Jorge Filipe - LEI <>,
From: Jonathan Roy <>
Subject: Re: is fastcgi dead? say it ain't so

At 09:51 AM 5/20/97 +0000, Mario Jorge Filipe - LEI wrote:
>	Hi
>	Just to say that i'm quite worried too. I'm developing (with
>another person) a WWW project where FCGI is essencial to the good work of
>the project.
>	Someone at OpenMarket said that it would take a while now before
>any updates because the main man (the guy that was developing FCGI) quit
>and the other guys had to look into the code before they could do
>anything, but this is no reason for OPENMARKEt's silence.

  Ah, that's a bummer. We use FastCGI a lot and will continue to do so. If
OpenMarket doesn't maintain the Apache/perl FastCGI stuff, maybe others
will eventually take over. So far we've fixed the Solaris accept() problem
and added ./configure style support to make the correct fcgi_config.h file,
as well as fixed a missing unlink() problem in mod_fastcgi.c that could
cause the fastcgi parent process to die. Both have been sent to the list
(although I haven't seen the big fix appear from the list yet).

  I can only hope that whomever maintains FastCGI at OpenMarket these days
will apply the patches, and release a new FCGI perl module (.29 or
something), and a new mod_fastcgi.c so others who aren't on this list can
benefit from the fixes.

  Regardless of OM's support, we'll keep using FastCGI, and will end up
fixing/improving things as needed if noone else does so first. ;)

Jonathan Roy - -- Idle Communications, Inc.
Mail to advertise with the Games Domain! or