mod_fastcgi version 1.4.3 ASSERT error

Sonya Rikhtverchik (rikhtver@OpenMarket.com)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:41:19 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: mod_fastcgi version 1.4.3 ASSERT error
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:41:19 -0400
From: Sonya Rikhtverchik <rikhtver@OpenMarket.com>

Sender: phamlen@minstrel.globecomm.net

Hey there, everyone!

  We're encountering the following ASSERT failure in the function BufferToss
within mod_fastcgi.c.

   ASSERT(count >= 0 && count <= bufPtr->length);

  I slightly modified the code and discovered that it's the bufPtr->length
condition that's failing.  Essentially, the program is trying to 'toss' more
characters than are in the buffer.

  It's almost certainly our code that's causing this eventual assertion, but
I'm kinda stuck on how to determine where the real problem is.  We have some
twenty other applications, all running successfully on the same version of
httpd.

  Has anyone encountered this assertion before?  Does anyone have any
suggestions on how I can track this sucker down?

- - -Peter Hamlen
Senior Developer

Miscellaneous data:

We're running fastCGI 1.4.3 under Apache 1.2 on Solaris 2.5.3
The problem occurs more often when we print bigger pages (is this a memory
issue?).  It is not consistently occurring, just fairly regularly (around every
third or fourth time the app is run.)

DISCLAIMER:
We've been running fastCGI for months, it's been working perfectly so far. We
love the product.  We firmly believe that our code is busted, it's just showing
up in the fastcgi stuff. :)

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message