FCGI spec unclear on GET_PARAMS record type and values.

Dave Jones (JONESD@er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu)
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:03:21 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:03:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dave Jones <JONESD@er6s1.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: FCGI spec unclear on GET_PARAMS record type and values.
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com

I've been reading the fastCGI specification and it leaves me with the definite
impression that records of type FCGI_GET_VALUES and FCGI_GET_VALUES_RESULT are
management records.  The fcgiapp code seems to be treating those record types
as streams, expecting to read a null-length record for FCGI_GET_VALUES and
sending a null record of type FGCI_GET_VALUES_RESULT prior to sending
the STDOUT stream.

I'm asking this question because I'm trying to incorporate FastCGI into
my multi-threaded web server and the discrepency between the specification
and implementation immediately bollixed up the works.

Second question: What's the distinction between FCGI_MAX_CONNS and
FCGI_MAX_REQS?  If you are multiplexing connections, why would want more
than 1 transport connection and if not, shouldn't FCGI_MAX_CONNS always equal
FCGI_MAX_REQS?  I suppose if you had a single FCGI application with multiple
connections different web servers, MAX_CONNS > 1 would be essential but
there is really nothing useful an individual web server could do with that
information.

David L. Jones               |      Phone:    (614) 292-6929
Ohio State Unviversity       |      Internet:
2070 Neil Ave. Rm. 122       |               jonesd@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210           |               vman+@osu.edu