Re: Starting multiple processes

Conrad Damon (damon@netserver.Stanford.EDU)
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:13:17 -0700

To: Stanley Gambarin <stanleyg@cs.bu.edu>
Subject: Re: Starting multiple processes
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:13:17 -0700
From: Conrad Damon <damon@netserver.Stanford.EDU>

http://www.fastcgi.com/servers/apache/ says 1.4/1.1 and 2.0/1.2.

> The status = n message indicates
> the value of the errno variable which was returned after a system call.  To
> see what it means, go to (usually) /usr/include/sys and look at file errno.h
> which lists all the numbers and corresponding errors.

Okay, I wasn't sure if it was just the plain old errno.h errors, which in this
case aren't directly helpful (or I'm looking at the wrong table). The only two
I recognize so far are pointing at a nonexistent perl executable (which gives
13 - EACCES) and a perl script that doesn't compile (which gives 9 - EBADF).

> 	Finally, status=0 usually means that the program terminated normally,
> so what I guess is happenning is that you did not configure the fastcgi
> correctly and Apache thinks its cgi, executes it once (when accessed) and
> terminates.

The scripts work until I add -processes to the AppClass directive. I did some
more testing and it seems to only happen with perl/FCGI. The echo (C) script
that comes with the kit worked fine with "-processes 3" but echo-perl did not.
As I mentioned, they start up okay but each access causes the app to exit with
status 0. This is under Solaris. The problem doesn't happen under SunOS. For
now we'll just run one instance of each process until we go to Apache 1.2.

Conrad