Apache setup (srm.conf) - FastCGI

Raul Gonzalez Barron (barron@EESUN2.tamu.edu)
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 22:28:00 -0500 (CDT)

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 22:28:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: Raul Gonzalez Barron <barron@EESUN2.tamu.edu>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Apache setup (srm.conf) - FastCGI

Hi,

Before I do any CGI-FastCGI comparisons, I first need to get FastCGI
working straight. I don't think my configuration of Apache is right just
yet. Let me try to explain it as best as I can and see if someone can
please advise me:

First of all, I did get the example tiny-perl-fcgi (that came in the
fcgi-devel-kit) to work (which makes me feel I'm in the right track) by
adding the following in the srm.conf

------------------------
DocumentRoot /export/home/barron/fcgi-devel-kit/

AppClass /export/home/barron/fcgi-devel-kit/examples/tiny-perl-fcgi

<Location /cgi-bin/tiny-perl-fcgi>
SetHandler fastcgi-script
</Location>

and it runs pretty fast as compared to the CGI version of it.

OK, then I thought, well I just need to replace tiny-perl-fcgi to
whatever FastCGI application I want to run and of course specify it in
<Location /.../> make sure the application is there. I did that and it
didn't work :( What I just don't understand is what is the role of the
fcgi-devel-kit in the configuration, does Apache needs to know where it is
and what exactly is this needed for? This is what I have been trying to
answer for the last few weeks. What I am convinced is that as soon as I
change the DocumentRoot to something else other than the fcgi-devel-kit
directory, (even when I try to use the tiny-perl-fcgi) it doesn't work.

let me illustrate my point,

If I want to use tiny-perl-fcgi by placing it in another directory
different that the /fcgi-devel-kit/... I do the following changes to
srm.conf

----------------------------------
DocumentRoot /export/home/barron/apache_1.2b11/

AppClass /export/home/barron/apache_1.2b11/cgi-bin/tiny-perl-fcgi

<Location /cgi-bin/tiny-perl-fcgi>
SetHandler fastcgi-script
</Location>

and I don't get any response. does anyone you have any suggestions?

I'm almost there!!!

Thanks beforehand!

Raul