Broken Pipes in Server Log

Jonathan Perlow (jdperlow@merc.com)
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:05:59 -0600

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 14:05:59 -0600
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
From: Jonathan Perlow <jdperlow@merc.com>
Subject: Broken Pipes in Server Log

	I have seen a few e-mails in the archive from developers experiencing
problems with broken pipe errors in the server logs. I am experiencing the
same problem and I have been unable to find any e-mails that can expalain
the problem or suggest a remedy.
	The problem only occurs when I run the applications as a server maintained
appclass (as opposed to an external app class). The likelihood of the
problem occurring seems to be correllated to the load on the webserver or
database server. Once the broken pipes begin, they remain broken and the
webserver must be restarted to remedy the problem.
	As a temporary solution, I have made the fcgis an external app class. I
would really like for the server to maintain the application in case the
processees exit due to some fatal error. I am running the OpenMarket server
2.1 on Solaris 2.5.1 on an Ultra-2. If anyone has any information, I would
really appreciate it. Thanks.

Jon Perlow