Start app first?

Kent Boortz (kent@erlang.ericsson.se)
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:48:16 +0200

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Start app first?
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 12:48:16 +0200
From: Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>

I don't understand how to configure Apache for FastCGI. I use
"Apache 1.2.1" and "mod_fastcgi 2.0".

What I want is:

	I start a "application server" that waits for FCGI
	requests on a single port or a socket. This application
	is *not* to be started from the Apache "mod_fastcgi".
	I start it independently and it should continue to
	run even if the Apache server is restarted. This
	application server is the "base" and the HTTP server
	is just an interface.

	When the user follows a URL "http://mymachine/foo.fcg"
	the Apache server should find out that this is a call
	to be directed to my application server, sends it
	and the server will reply.

I tried using ExternalAppClass but I can't figure out how to make the
server understand that a URL path is not to a physical file but just
an identifier that indicate that the server should send a FCGI request
to my application server.

My "application server" is an Erlang system (Erlang is a concurrent
functional programming language) that will spawn threads for the
different requests from the server. This also means that I don't want
FCGI connections to multiple applications, all requests should go to
the same socket/port and a broker thread will pass it to the right
thread.

A small configuration example would be great because I'm not that
familiar with Apache configuration options yet.

Thankful for any help,

/kgb