Windows NT and FastCGI

Benjamin Gavin (gavinb@supranet.net)
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:23:53 -0500

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:23:53 -0500
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
From: Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
Subject: Windows NT and FastCGI

Hi all,
  I don't know what happened to my last post, so I'll send another.  Sorry
if the same thing shows up twice...

  I am having MAJOR problems with FastCGI under Windows NT.  It seems that
no matter how I change the environment variables between calls to the
FastCGI process, They DO NOT CHANGE according to the FastCGI process
itself.  A simple example will illustrate the point...

1a)  Submit form using GET, content-length=50
  result:  FastCGI program starts up, gets correct data.

2a)  Change form submittal to POST, content-length=50
  result:  Still reads from the original QueryString, as if GET was used.

1b)  Submit form using POST, content-length=30
  result:  FastCGI program starts up, get correct data
2b)  Submit form using POST, content-length=29
  result:  FastCGI program tries to read 30, gets bogus last character
3b)  Submit form using POST, content-length=31+
  result:  FastCGI reads only first 30 characters
4b)  Submit form using GET, content-length=30
  result:  30 random characters read from standard input, sometimes
           kills program, sometimes continues with bogus info.

As far as I can tell the FastCGI program gets only one set of environment
variables.  It gets whatever set it is started up with, but no more.  No
matter what changes I make to the environment variables, there are no
changes to the FastCGI programs environment after the first call.  This
works fine if the method is POST and each input set has the exact same
content-length, but how often does that happen???  It doesn't matter how I
get the environ variables, using FCGX_GetParam, or getenv.

Please, I need FastCGI's speed improvements.  I DO NOT want to port the
existing program into an ISAPI dll... YUCK!!  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben Gavin