fastcgi installation problems

Sonya Rikhtverchik (rikhtver@OpenMarket.com)
Tue, 02 Sep 1997 11:31:17 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: fastcgi installation problems
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 11:31:17 -0400
From: Sonya Rikhtverchik <rikhtver@OpenMarket.com>

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 16:25:48 +0100 (BST)
From: Alex Nunes <alex@venus.co.uk>
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
cc: Alex Nunes <alex@venus.co.uk>
Subject: Help please: fastcgi installation problems

Dear all,

i'm trying to get fastcgi (v 1.4.3) running with apache
(1.2.4) on a linux machine (redhat 4.1? - linux 2.0.27).
i've managed to compile to compile mod_fastcgi.c into the a new httpd
binary. (there were some warnings thrown up by gcc but no errors).

the problems start when i try to run one of the demo applications from the
fastcgi developers kit (2.0b2). i edit the httpd.conf as instruct in the
documentation:

AppClass /home/httpd/default/fastcgi/tiny-cgi.cgi

<location /fastcgi/tiny-cgi.cgi>
sethandler fastcgi-script
</location>

when i sighup or even start and stop the server no tiny-cgi.cgi process
appears in the process table (ps auxw) and when i look in the httpd error
logs i see messages like:

[Thu Aug 28 16:05:20 1997] mod_fastcgi: Unable to open mbox
[Thu Aug 28 16:05:20 1997] mod_fastcgi: AppClass /home/httpd/default/fastcgi/ti
ny-cgi.cgi restarted with pid 1040.
[Thu Aug 28 16:05:20 1997] mod_fastcgi: AppClass /home/httpd/default/fastcgi/ti
ny-cgi.cgi pid 1040 terminated by calling exit with status = 118.

i suspected this is related to the FastCgiIpcDir directive so I created a
directory call /etc/httpd/fastcgi and added the directive:

FastCgiIpcDir /etc/httpd/fastcgi

I then went about (in desperation) turning on every conceivable permission
within this directory but this message still appears in the logs.

If it helps, I got a 403 message when tryin to access the script through a
web browser.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

alex

Alex Nunes