RE: #including output of a fastcgi

yalcin Bozcaada (bozcaada@OpenMarket.com)
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:17:01 -0400

From: yalcin Bozcaada <bozcaada@OpenMarket.com>
To: "'bengber@condenast.com'" <bengber@condenast.com>
Subject: RE: #including output of a fastcgi
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:17:01 -0400

>How does one include the output of a fastCGI program in a page?  I am using
>Open-Market-Secure-WebServer/2.0.0.RC3

I'd suggest following:

First, you need to upgrade your Open Market Web Server to 2.0.16 which is
the latest and greatest version.

Second, the usage of "<!--#exec cgi "is correct. At this point, you need to
put your FastCGI Responder URL, as cgi program name.

Third, we do not support FastCGI usage in Server Side Includes. Although
we know it works.

>Is there some sort of <!--#exec fcgi="..."--> tag, or do I have to use (and
>learn) the filter role?

there is  no <!--#exec fcgi="..."-->  tag, in Open Market's SWS. If you just want
to send the output of your application back to your server and to the client,
you do not need to use filter.

Some things to keep in mind:

-To be able to have server side includes run exec cgi, you need to have
  -restricted option added to your region that enables serversideincludes.
  Also, if your SSI invokes another SSI, and so on, you need to use
  -nesting option to make sure all will be included.

-QUERY_STRING and PATH_INFO are not allowed to be included in a SSI.
i.e. lets say your responder is: /apps/advert
while your client can send /apps/advert?something, you would not
be able to do this via SSI. Your SSI should read:
<!--#exec cgi="/apps/advert"-->

Hope this helps a bit.

-yalcin