Re: OS Error.... again and again..

Richard Scranton (scrantr@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:23:44 -0400

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:23:44 -0400
From: Richard Scranton <scrantr@ix.netcom.com>
To: Fabian Thylmann <thylmann@m1.sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: OS Error.... again and again..

How does the number of TIME_WAITs compare to the maximum number of
open files/sockets per process?  Are you running out of socket
connections while waiting for TIME_WAIT to expire?  TIME_WAIT
period is supposed to be four minutes, but can usually be configured
for a shorter interval ( I've heard of it being set to as little as
30 seconds in some cases ).  Another tunable to consider.  You must
be attempting to sustain a terrific transaction rate to see that
many rejections per second.  -rs

Fabian Thylmann wrote:

> At 06:11 PM 9/22/97 -0700, ejw@myinternet.com wrote:
> >for solaris:
> >
> >ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_conn_req_max_q 1024
> >

> I have this set to 1024, but I still get the OS Errors..
>
> Also, I have LOADS of TIME_WAIT's in netstat -n
>
> I do not know in what way this is normal though.
>
> I am currently experiencing OVER 5 REJECTS per SECOND!
>
> I wouldn't even have dreamed that I get that many hits to this cgi.
>
> To me, it is absolutely not makeing any sence. I do not understand why I
> get all these rejections..

Richard Scranton - LDA Systems - Information Management Consulting
scrantr@ix.netcom.com  Columbus Cincinnati Cleveland Toledo Atlanta