Re: OS Error.... again and again..

Richard Scranton (scrantr@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:23:53 -0400

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:23:53 -0400
From: Richard Scranton <scrantr@ix.netcom.com>
To: Stanley Gambarin <stanleyg@cs.bu.edu>
Subject: Re: OS Error.... again and again..

If you would be willing to experiment on a FreeBSD box, I can assist
in configuration and sizing.  btw, how big is your Sparc host?
How much memory, how much swap space...  -rs

Stanley Gambarin wrote:

>         Would it be possible for you to do the following:
>
>         - try your setup on another OS
>         - provide AppClass lines from config file
>         - provide sample fcgi script that can be used to
>         reproduce the problem.
>         - try different combinations of the developer kits/
>         apache module/OS.
>         - hook the server through the debugger and put the
>         breakpoint in the function where error message gets
>         printed.  Then run the server until you get an error,
>         and do a stack trace and send it to the list.
>
>         Having a lot of TIME_WAIT open sockets maybe related to
> the web server, as most of the FastCGI processing/communication
> is done through Unix domain sockets (unless you are using -port)
> option for the AppClass.  Also, make sure to read the following:
> http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/fin_wait_2.html
>
>                                                 Stanley.
>
> P.S. Please try to provide more information, not just "Oh,
> it's happenning again...", otherwise people may start to
> ignore the messages.
>
> On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Fabian Thylmann wrote:
>
> > At 06:11 PM 9/22/97 -0700, ejw@myinternet.com wrote:
> > >for solaris:
> > >
> > >ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_conn_req_max_q 1024
> > >

> > I have this set to 1024, but I still get the OS Errors..
> >
> > Also, I have LOADS of TIME_WAIT's in netstat -n
> >
> > I do not know in what way this is normal though.
> >
> > I am currently experiencing OVER 5 REJECTS per SECOND!
> >
> > I wouldn't even have dreamed that I get that many hits to this cgi.
> >
> > To me, it is absolutely not makeing any sence. I do not understand why I
> > get all these rejections..

Richard Scranton - LDA Systems - Information Management Consulting
scrantr@ix.netcom.com  Columbus Cincinnati Cleveland Toledo Atlanta